Biostat 202B - UCLA (Winter 2018)
- Instructor : Donatello Telesca
- Lecture: MW 1:00 pm to 2:50 am- PUB HLT 51-279
- Donatello Office Hours: M 3:30pm - 4:30pm - PUB HLT 21-254B
- Teaching Assistant: Bingling Wang
- TA Office Hours: T 3:00PM - 4:00PM - PUB HLT A1-228
Schedule of Lectures
- (1/08) Introduction - Inferential Principles (CB 7.3)
- (1/10) Convergence Concepts (CB 5.5)
- (1/15) No Class - MLK Jr. Holiday
- (1/17) Slutsky + CLT (CB 5.5.3, CB 5.5.4) [HW 1 due]
- (1/22) Delta Method + Order Statistics (Read ahead CB 5.5.4, CB 5.4)
- (1/24) Non-parametric estimation of a CDF [HW 2 due]
- (1/31) [HW 3 due]
- (2/07) [HW 4 due]
- (2/12) Midterm
- (2/19) No Class - Presidents Day Holiday
- (2/21) [HW 5 due]
- (2/28) [HW 6 due]
- (3/07) [HW 7 due]
- (3/14) [HW 8 due]
Syllabus and competencies: Syllabus.pdf
8 HW Assignments 20%
Midterm (02/12) 30%
Final (03/23) 50%
- G Casella and RL Berger. Statistical Inference. Second Edition. Duxbury. [Required]
- JB Kadane. Principles of Uncertainty. CRC Press [A good base reference for Bayesian Inference]
- T Ferguson. A Course in Large Sample Theory. Chapman & Hall. [Contained volume on asymptotics]
- AW Van der Vaart. Asymptotic Statistics. [Advanced asymptotics]
- CP Robert. The Bayesian Choice. [Advanced Bayesian Theory]
(Journal Articles and other Miscellaneous References)
- Aldrich J (1997) R.A. Fisher and the Making of Maximum Likelihood 1912-1922. Statistical Science, Vol 12, No 3. pp 162-176.
[Hypothesis Testing and Philosophy of Science]
- Mayo, D. and Spanos, A. (2006). Severe testing as a basic concept in a Neyman-Pearson philosophy of induction. British Journal for the Philosophy of Science, 57, pp 323–357.
- Popper, K. (1959). The Logic of Scientific Discovery. Basic Books, New York.
- Howson, C. and Urbach, P. (2005). Scientific Reasoning: The Bayesian Approach. 3rd ed. Open Court, Chicago, IL.
- Jeffreys, H. (1939). Theory of Probability. 1st ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
[Critiques of P-values as Measures of Evidence]
- Berger JO and Selke T (1987). Testing a point null hypothesis: The irreconciliability of p values and evidence. JASA, Vol.82, 397, pp 112-122.
- Johnson VE (2013). Revised Standard for Statistical Evidence. PNAS, Vol 110, No.48, pp 19313-19317.